"Build Your First Robot" As Seen in Popular Mechanics Magazine
Build a Fully Programmable Arduino Robot
Welcome to the Build Your First Robot (BYFR) information page! The Build Your First Robot project appears in the February 2012 issue of Popular Mechanics.
BYFR Information Central
- Parts List and Sources - Updated parts list with the latest sources.
- Construction How-to - Steps to building the BYFR (requires PDF reader).
- Build Your First Robot FAQ - Answers to common questions.
- Where to Get Started - Handy list of resources if you're new to the Arduino, mechanical construction, or electronics.
- Print and Cut Templates (zip file) - Pre-cut body parts are available at Budget Robotics, but here are printable PDF templates if you'd like to cut and drill your own pieces. Be sure to read the information page about printing the templates to scale.
- Understanding the Build Your First Robot Sketch - Extended comments on the demo sketch code. Read this to learn more about how the sketch works.
These Arduino sketches put your BYFR through its paces. Be sure to download the correct one for the version of Arduino IDE software you are using. These are zip archive files, and must be unpacked to your Arduino sketchbook folder before use.
- Demo sketch for Arduino 1.0 - Download and install this if you have Arduino 1.0. See the readme file for additional information.
- Demo sketch for Arduino pre-release - Download and install this if you have a pre-release version of Arduino (must be 0022 or later). See the readme file for additional information.
- Servos-only robot exerciser - Run just the servo motors on your BYFR. All other code (switches, infrared remote control, sound) is removed. Good for checking proper connection of your servos. The sketch repeats a basic motion pattern -- forward, back, right, left -- over and over again. Compatible with both Arduino 1.0 and pre-release versions.
- IR remote test (for Arduino pre-release) - Test the functionality of the infrared remote control. Download this zip file if you are using Arduino pre-release software. See the readme file for additional information.
- IR remote test (for Arduino 1.0) - Same as above, but for Arduino version 1.0.
BYFR In Action
(Sorry about the ad at the beginning.)
More To Come... (please bookmark this page!)