"Build Your First Robot" Affordable ArdBot II Based Desktop 'Bot!
Build a Fully Programmable Arduino Robot
Welcome to the Build Your First Robot (BYFR) information page! The Build Your First Robot project, or ArdBot II, appears in the February 2012 issue of Popular Mechanics, and an updated version starting with the August 2013 issue of SERO Magazine!
BYFR Information Central
- Parts List and Sources - Where to get parts for your BYFR/ArdBot II.
- Construction How-to - Steps to building the BYFR (requires PDF reader).
- Build Your First Robot FAQ - Answers to common questions.
- Where to Get Started - Handy list of resources if you're new to the Arduino, mechanical construction, or electronics.
- Print and Cut Templates (zip file) - Pre-cut body parts are available at Budget Robotics, but here are printable PDF templates if you'd like to cut and drill your own pieces. Be sure to read the information page about printing the templates to scale.
- Understanding the Build Your First Robot Sketch - Extended comments on the Popular Mechanics demo sketch code. Read this to learn more about how the sketch works.
BYFR Sketches - Popular Mechanics Version
(Please refer to the SERVO Magazine Web site for Arduino sketches for the SERVO version of BYFR/ArdBot II.)
These Arduino sketches put your BYFR through its paces. Unless otherwise noted these sketches require the Arduino 1.0 or later IDE software. These are zip archive files, and must be unpacked to your Arduino sketchbook folder before use.
- Demo sketch - Download and install this to run the basic demo version of BYFR.
- Servos-only robot exerciser - Run just the servo motors on your BYFR. All other code (switches, infrared remote control, sound) is removed. Good for checking proper connection of your servos. The sketch repeats a basic motion pattern -- forward, back, right, left -- over and over again.
- IR remote test - Test the functionality of the infrared remote control. See the readme file for additional information..
More To Come... (please bookmark this page!)